Terrington St Clement History Group

 Home        Contact        Members        The Reclaimed Lands        News        About Us        Books / DVD
<prev       next>


In 1234 Ralph de Stretton, Homo de Nerford and William Fitz Herlewin each held an interest in the Manor which at that time was part of the Manor of Wormegay. William Howard was Lord in 1307 and Sir John Howard was Lord in 1403. At his death in 1437 the Manor was left to Henry Howard his second son. From there it passed to Roger Wentworth of Nettlested in Suffolk and it then passed to his son Sir John Wentworth who died in 1567. His heirs were two daughters Mary and Ann. Ann, the surviving daughter married Lord Maltravers son of the Earl of Arundel. She latter married Sir William Dean. She died in 1577 and the Lordship passed to Jerome Bettenham and James Walton. In 1632 Sir Edward Villers Knight, who was then Lord of the Manor died and it passed to the Hovells and from them to the ffolkes family. Sir Martin ffolkes was Lord of the Manor in1653. The Lordship was in the hands of the ffolkes family until the estate was sold in 1913.


copyright T.S.C History Group 2008